1 2| 4 5
MARSHFIELD SUN ANNUAL
JAN. 1901 SPECIAL EDITION Part 3
Compilation copyright (c) 2005 by Marilee Miller
NO COPYING OR DISTRIBUTION of this document without permission..
Text-only version, free copy, please go back to Sun Annual Part 1
Part 3. #22= Capt Edwards Steamer Alert #23= J. M. Upton #24= Match Factory
#25= Coos Bay Railroad Co. #26= Judge L. Harlocker. #27= Assessor J. S. Lawrence
#28= Tupper House, Bandon #29= County Clerk L. H. Hazard #30= Myrtle Point Hotel
#31= Attorney W. U. Douglas #32= Steamer Dispatch #33= North's Creamery
#34= S. B. Cathcart #35= Wm. B. Curtis
Leaves Alleghany every morning at 7 A. M., arrives at Marshfield at 10
A. M. Leaves Marshfield at 2 P. M., arrives at Alleghany at 5 P. M.
This is the scenic route of Coos county.
CAPT. CHARLES E. EDWARDS
There are many requisites for success in life, but energy and
perseverance count for most, and the man with the best "rustling" abilities
stands a much better chance of winning golden sheckels than one without
this qualification. Capt. Edwards, the subject of this sketch, has proved
himself to be a "rustler" of the first class. Chas. E. Edwards was born in
Miama [sic] county, Indiana, in 1853. When he was but one year old his
parents removed to Wisconsin, and later to northern Kansas. In 1871 Mr.
Edwards came to the Pacific coast and accepted a position on Mr. John
Rooney's sugar ranch, and later became foreman and remained in that
position for three years. In 1875 he came to Coos county, and shortly after
his arrival accepted a position as ships [sic] carpenter, and assisted in
building the steamer, "Little Annie" which was launched in November,
1876, at which time he accepted a position as one of her deck hands, and
later became engineer and in the fall of 1878 master, which position he held
until 1883, when he became engaged in the furniture business at Myrtle
Point. In 1886 he disposed of his stock and became interested with Messrs.
Burk & Rohm, under the firm name of Edwards, Burk & Co. In 1888 he
sold his interest in this establishment, and, in connection with H. D.
Dalmas, built the first sawmill at Myrtle Point. Disposing of his interests in
1891, he accepted a position in the saw mill at Parkersburg, and later at
Prosper, where he remained until 1893, when he became engineer on the
steam tug Katie Cook, at Rogue River, where he took a contract to move
Gold Beach to Wedderburn. In December, 1895, Capt. Edwards took a
long lease of the steamer Alert, which makes a daily round trip between
Alleghany, at the head of navigation on the Coos river, and Marshfield. In
1884 he was elected county commissioner, and re-elected in 1886. Capt.
Edwards has always been an advocate of good roadways and it was mostly
due to his efforts that the wagon road between Alleghany, Coos county, and
Elkton, in Douglas county, was surveyed. This road means a great deal to
Marshfield and the upper Coos river, as it gives a much shorter and easier
route to and from the country. Capt. Edwards was married in March, 1880,
to Miss Mary C. Roberts, of Myrtle Point, and has an interesting family of
three girls and one boy. Capt. Edwards affiliates with the Masonic order.
J. M. UPTON
Is one of the most able lawyers of Coos county, and has attained his
present position of prominence by virtue of application to study and
ambition to win. He was born in Shasta county, California, January 27,
1863. After graduating from the Salinas City High School in 1875, he
entered the newspaper field, and at one time was employed on the old
evening [sic] Examiner at San Francisco, and later on the Portland News,
and in 1884 was connected with the East Oregonian of Pendleton. Mr.
Upton began the study of law at Portland under Governor Gibbs in 1883,
was admitted to the bar in 1893, and at once removed to Bandon, Coos
county, Oregon, and began the practice of law.
When Bandon was organized in 1891, Mr. Upton was elected its first
recorder. In 1896 he received the nomination on the Democratic ticket for
district attorney for this district. Mr. Upton is a firm believer in the future
growth and prosperity of Bandon and was one of the organizers and
builders of the town, and is among those who are always willing to do all in
their power to advance the interests, not only of Bandon, but of the entire
Mr. Upton was married in September, 1897, to Miss E. A. Reed, of
Bandon. They have one child, a boy, two years old. Mr. Upton affiliates
with the K. of P.
A MATCH FACTORY.
This county while gifted by nature with agricultural and mineral wealth
offers extraordinary inducement for the manufacture of various articles. In
the past three months E. G. Flanagan and C. F. McCollum, local capitalists,
have established a well equipped match factory in Marshfield. They have
all the latest improved machinery and the plant has a capacity of 250 cases
per day. This institution affords employment for twenty people, thereby
adding its mite to the betterment of affairs and the general prosperity of the
THE C. B. R. & E. R. R. & N. CO.
Traverses a Country Rich in Mineral and
Natural Wealth - Early Extension to Roseburg.
The C. B. R. & E. R. R. & N. Co. road has been completed and is
operated from its western terminus at Marshfield, on Coos Bay. The road
runs in a southerly direction following the west shore of Isthmus Slough
and skirting the eastern slope of a series of hills, underlaid with veins of
lignite coal, for a distance of eight miles; at this point the ascent of the
watershed dividing the Coquille and Coos bay basins begins and is
continued by an easy grade for a distance of two miles, where the summit of
the divide is reached and the descent to the Coquille Valley commences.
This fertile section of Coos county is then traversed for a distance of 18
miles, passing through the city of Coquille and an extensive range of
grazing country that is fast becoming the most prominent in the state in the
line of dairy products, to Myrtle Point, a thriving little city at the head of
navigation on the Coquille river, and which is the present terminus of the
road. From Myrtle Point eastward no work has been performed, other than
preliminary surveys up the Middle and North Fork of the Coquille river and
over the Coast range of mountains through the Camas and Looking Glass
valleys to the city of Roseburg, 64 miles distant from Marshfield.
The country east of Myrtle Point is broken and mountainous, though in
great part well adapted for sheep and cattle raising, large bodies of timber
are also to be found in different localities, and occasional fields of lignite
The principle commodities exported over the road are coal, lumber, ship
knees, ship spars, live stock, wool, potatoes, apples, and dairy products.
The equipment of the road consists of two locomotives, one passenger
coach, one caboose, and 62 freight and logging cars. The terminal facilities
at Marshfield, consisting of large coal bunkers, extensive wharves and
warehouses, which are well adapted for the handling of large quantities of
coal, lumber, and miscellaneous freight directly from the cars to ocean
vessels. Here, also, are located the company's machine shop, round house
and car shops for the building and repair of railroad equipment. In the car
shops is found the latest improved wood-working machinery especially
adapted for railroad work, which enables the company to do all of their own
construction of coaches, box, flat, coal, and logging cars in a manner equal
to those of trans-continental lines.
The machine shop has all the appurtenances necessary for the repairing
of locomotives and mining machinery, and a large blacksmith shop in
connection, supplied with a powerful steam hammer, a blower and aside
from the forges and furnaces, all of which enables them to do heavy work.
This road has been operated since December 18, 1899, by W.S. Chandler
as receiver for the U.S. Court pending a foreclosure suit of the Farmer's
Loan & Trust Company, of New York, in the interest of the bondholders,
the J. D. Spreckels and Brothers Company of San Francisco. This latter
company's interests in Coos County amount to over a million dollars and as
they are everywhere known for their progressive business spirit, it is safe to
say that when the present litigation is wound up that they will reorganize,
and there will be fair prospects for the early extension of the road to connect
with the Southern Pacific at Roseburg.
On assuming charge of the road, Manager Chandler found things in a
very dilapidated condition, but he has given his time and attention to the
straightening out and systematizing of affairs. Bridges have been rebuilt,
new ties installed where necessary, and thousands of tons of ballast
[illegible; = placed?] on the road, which now makes the roadbed in perfect
condition. Besides giving his attention to general repair work wherever
needed, Manager Chandler has put in several new and important switches
along the line which has greatly facilitated the handling of trains; a new and
modern freight and passenger depot has also been constructed at Coquille
City, the county seat of Coos county and situated along the line of the road.
Freight and passenger traffic over the road has been an item of interest to
Mr. Chandler, who has by his courteous ways and reasonable dealings
increased the traffic of the road to a height never dreamed of by the former
operators, and placed the property on a paying basis - all of the rolling
stock being necessarily in use to handle the business.
In order to meet demands of the increasing business of the road another
passenger coach is to be added to the list of rolling stock in the near future,
the fittings for same having already been ordered from the East and the car
will be built in the company shops in Marshfield.
Connecting with the main line of the railroad are two spur lines of a
combined length of five miles and running to the Klondike and Beaver Hill
coal mines. Along these lines, as on the main road, are situated numerous
logging camps that find rail transportation to the sawmill.
Beaver Hill mines.
At Beaver Hill is [sic] located the coal mines of the same name, which are
being developed on the "shute [sic] and pillar" system, which is the only
practicable method of mining and extracting this coal, owing to the soft and
friable nature of the over and under lying strata. Equipment in the way of
mining machinery can be found here equal to any mining camp on the
coast. There is also a coal washer of modern pattern, a cut of which appears
elsewhere in this issue.
JUDGE L. HARLOCKER
But few, if any, stand higher socially or morally in the estimation of his
friend [sic] and neighbors in the commonwealth than the subject of this
sketch. His name is a synonym for all that is true and honorable in a man,
fellow citizen and officer.
L. Harlocker was born July 6, 1848, in Franklin county, Ohio. When but
two years old his father died and his mother removed to Grant county,
Wisconsin. Here the subject of this sketch remained until 1865, when he
enlisted in the Forty-seventh Infantry of Wisconsin. Was mustered out in
the latter part of August in the same year. He then joined his mother, who
had removed to Charles City, Iowa, and again took up his studies, entering
the public schools of Charles City, where he remained until 1869, at which
time he went to California and accepted a position on a stock ranch in
Sonoma county, remaining there until 1871, when he removed to Oregon,
locating in Coos county, where he bought a farm and one year later took up
a homestead. Mr. Harlocker then followed farming and logging for the next
ten years. In 1882 he was elected county assessor of Coos county on the
Republican ticket and re-elected in 1884. In 1886 he was elected sheriff. In
1890 Mr. Harlocker removed to Coquille City and opened a real estate
office. In October he became deputy post master of Coquille, and on the
resignation of Postmaster J. H. Nosler, was appointed postmaster, which
position he held for four years. In 1896 he accepted the position of depot
agent. In 1898 Mr. Harlocker again received the appointment of post
master at Coquille, which position he held until June, 1900, when he was
elected county judge. Mr. Harlocker was married August, 1889, to Miss
Fannie I. Coke, of Coos county, and has an interesting family of five
children, three boys and two girls. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
Judge Harlocker is a firm believer in Coos county and especially of
Coquille City, and shows his belief in the future greatness of that city by
erecting the finest home in the county, an engraving of which appears in
J. S. LAWRENCE
Few persons occupy a higher position in the [illegible; = estimation of
the people of Coos county?] than does J. S. Lawrence. His reputation for
integrity, and all other commendable qualities of heart and mind, constitute
established credentials of which any one may well feel proud. As a public
officer Mr. Lawrence is not only courteous and affable, but is always
willing to lend a helping hand to any deserving enterprise, and has always
taken a great interest in the welfare of Coos county. Mr. Lawrence was
born on a farm in St. Francis county, Mo., in 1852. He received his
education by attending the Libertyville public schools during the months of
winter. In summer he was busy assisting his father on the farm. In 1877
Mr. Lawrence removed to Northwest Texas and became engaged in the
farming and lumber business, which he followed until 1885, at which time
he concluded to remove to the far West, and in the fall of 1885 he located in
Coquille, Coos county, Oregon. Mr. Lawrence had been in Coquille but a
short time before he accepted a position at the Lyons' mill at trimming and
tallying, which position he held for twelve years. In 1898 Mr. Lawrence
was elected assessor on the Democratic ticked by 328 majority. Mr.
Lawrence has filled the position not only with credit to himself, but also
with entire satisfaction to his constituents, which fact is proven by the
phenomenal plurality (515) he received at his re-election in 1900 over his
Republican opponent. Mr. Lawrence was married April, 1876, to Miss
Anna McClintock, of St. Francis county, Mo., and has an interesting family
of four children, the eldest being B. F. Lawrence, who is at present engaged
in the newspaper field at Portland, Oregon.
This long-established and well-known public house, situated on the main
street of Bandon, has always been ranked among the first-class hotels in the
interior of the county, but never since it was first opened has it enjoyed a
better reputation in all respects than at the present time. This fact speaks
volumes for the superior management of the genial and obliging landlord,
Robt. E. Lee Bedillion, who is ever attentive to his guests and who leaves
nothing undone that would add to their comfort and pleasure. The Tupper
House is a large, two-story structure, containing upwards of 40 rooms, and
is complete in all departments. An excellent table is set, all cooking and
other preparation of food being done by white labor. No Chinese are
employed in any capacity, which very commendable feature is duly
appreciated by those who stop at the house or occasionally take their meals
there. The dining room is large, light and well ventilated, the office is
roomy and well arranged, having all the customary conveniences, while the
barroom and billiard parlor are equipped and furnished in a neat manner.
Nicely furnished and commodious parlors are found on the second floor.
The sleeping rooms are all airy and well lighted.
Mr. Bedillion took charge of the Tupper House June 26, 1900, since
which time he has made many improvements, foremost of which is the table
board, and refurnishing the sleeping rooms. Lately the office, dining room,
bedrooms and parlor have been thoroughly overhauled, papered and
painted, and everything put in excellent repair. The hotel as now furnished
is one of the finest in the county, and the landlord is a generous and fair-
dealing gentleman, who well deserves the splendid patronage his house is
receiving. In the Tupper House is located the long-distance telephone
office, and stages for all points make calls previous to their departure.
L. H. HAZARD
The present efficient clerk of Coos county is a man who stands high
among his constituents, and is the fortunate possessor of a host of warm
personal friends, who, in admiration of his numerous sterling qualities,
would make almost any sacrifice to enhance his success. He was born in
Johnson county, Iowa, November 3, 1867. After completing his education
in the public schools of Iowa, he joined his father, S. H. Hazard, at Empire
City, Coos county, Oregon, and two years later received the appointment of
deputy postmaster under J. M. Arrington at Marshfield, remaining in this
position until June, 1888. He then accepted a clerical position with the
Southern Oregon Company. Here he remained for the next four years,
when he resigned to accept the position of storekeeper in the U. S.
commissary department. Two years later Mr. Hazard became bookkeeper
for H. Sengstacken at Marshfield. In June, 1896, Mr. Hazard accepted the
deputy county clerkship under Ed. Rackliff [sic], and on Mr. Rackliff
resigning in December, 1889, was appointed county clerk, and at the next
regular election, June, 1900, was elected to fill the same position. Mr.
Hazard was married on August 12, 1896, to Miss Mabel E. Hacker, of
Empire City. They have one child, a boy.
MYRTLE POINT HOTEL
The American people are fast becoming great patrons of the hotel. No
matter whether they travel much or little, they love to enjoy the freedom of
a well-kept hostlery [sic]. The home residents can enjoy the dinner, supper,
or their Sunday meals with as keen a relish as can the traveler or tourist.
This change is brought about by the fact that hotels are now made the model
of comfort, and to be the landlord of a successful house means to be a man
of experience and a close observer of people. Relative to these remarks, we
would make mention of Kennedy H. Hanson, landlord at the Myrtle Point
Hotel, the mot popular hotel in the city. Mr. Hanson took charge of this
hotel August 10, 1900, since which time he has made many improvements,
amongst which may be mentioned the very great improvement in the table
service, which today is considered equal to any in the county. He also has a
fine bathroom, with hot and cold water, which is free to his guests. The
house is well-lighted and scrupulously clean, and for the accomuation [sic;
= accommodation] of the traveling men he has large sample rooms which
are well heated during the winter months. You can book from this hotel on
any of the stage lines. An engraving of this hotel appears in this issue.
Kennedy H. Hansen was born in Council Bluffs, Iowa, on the 26th day of
August, 1858. He remained there until 1884, when he removed to Oregon,
locating in Coos county, and for six years taught school. In June,1894, he
was elected assessor and in 1696 re-elected. Mr. Hansen was married the
28th of March, 1886, to Miss Ida Jackson, of California. They have two
children living. Mr. Hansen still owns a fine ranch a few miles from Myrtle
Point, from which he is able to get fresh vegetables and fruits for his hotel.
He affiliates with the Masons.
W. U. DOUGLAS
Few persons occupy a higher position in the estimation of the people of
Coos county than does W. U. Douglas, of Marshfield. His reputation for
integrity and for all other commendable qualities of heart and mind,
constitute established credentials of which anyone might well be proud.
Mr. Douglas came to Marshfield some ten years ago, during which time he
has been engaged in various enterprises, but for the past two years has
devoted his entire time to the practice of law. His offices are pleasantly
located in the Smith-Sengstacken building.
T. A. NORTH
There is no man in Coos county that has done as much for the dairy
industry as the subject of this sketch. In fact, it is mostly due to his efforts
in this direction that Coos county's butter is today so well and favorably
known throughout California and Oregon. Mr. North is more than
ordinarily well versed in the dairy business, having devoted the past 24
years of his life to it, during which time he has not only had practical
experience throughout the different states where this industry flourishes, but
has made a thorough study of the climate, soil and grasses that go to make a
first-class dairy country, and says that Coos county, Oregon, is the very
finest country in the United States for the dairy business. This is a broad
statement but Mr. North has proven that he believes what he says by
establishing one of the best equipped creameries in the state. Mr. North has
shown good judgment in the site chosen for his creamery, situated on the
bank of the Coquille river, about midway between Coquille City and
Bandon. He is thereby able to accommodate the farmers both on the upper
and lower part of the river. By his creamery is one of the largest mountain
springs in the county, the water from which is icy cold and as clear as
crystal. Mr. North has piped this water into his creamery, and claims that he
is able to obtain better results by using this cold water for churning purposes
than ever before. His creamery has a capacity of 800 pounds n hour, and is
equipped with all of the latest modern improvements. He has named it the
Mountain Springs Dairy, and all butter bearing that label brings the highest
market price. His produce is all shipped to San Francisco. An engraving of
his creamery appears in this issue.
S. B. CATHCART.
Prominent among surveyors and civil engineers of this state is the name
of S. B. Cathcart, who was born in Orange county, Indiana, in 1842. When
but eleven years old he, in company with his parents, made the trip across
the plains to Oregon, locating in Douglas county, where he acquired his
preliminary education in the public schools. In 1871 he removed to Coos
county, and settled on north Coos river, and in his bachelor's cabin
continued the study of civil engineering for two years. In 1873 he received
the appointment of U. S. deputy mineral surveyor for the sixth mineral
district (Coos and Curry counties). In 1874 Mr. Cathcart was elected
county surveyor and was re-elected in 1886, '88, '92, '94, '96, '98, and 1900.
Mr. Cathcart served one year in Company A First Oregon Calvary, and for
fifteen years was a member of Baker Post No. 8 G. A. R.
Mr. Cathcart was married on July 15, 1879, to Miss Dora A. Landreth, of
Coos river. In 1890 they removed to Marshfield, where they still reside.
WM. B. CURTIS
As a hamlet grows into a village and then into a town its various offices
should be filled by capable men. Among these the position of councilman is
one that requires a man of more than ordinary ability to discharge its duties,
and to fill it to the satisfaction of his constituents its incumbent must be a
man of [microfilm printout illegible] executive ability. Wm. B. Curtis, the
subject of this sketch, has proven to be the right man in the right place and
as a public officer he is active and farsighted, as well as affable,
gentlemanly, and approachable. Mr. Curtis was born in Maine, August 19,
[microfilm printout illegible]. His secondary education was obtained in the
public schools and later in the E. M. C. Seminary at Bucksport, Maine.
After leaving school Mr. Curtis followed [illegible] four years. In 1874 he
came to California, where he was employed on a fruit ranch until 1875,
when he decided to come to Oregon, and in 1878 he located in Coos county
and one year later accepted the position of hotel clerk at the Blanco hotel, at
Marshfield, which position he held until October, 1898 [printout not clear],
at which time he received the appointment of post master for Marshfield,
which position he still holds. In 1897, Mr. Curtis was elected a member of
the city council or "town board," as it [printout unclear = is?] termed in
Marshfield, and in 1899 was re-elected to the same position. Mr. Curtis
was married to Miss R. Hirst of Marshfield. They have an interesting
family of three children, two boys and one girl. Mr. Curtis affiliates with
the I. O. O. F., K. of P., and A. O. U. W.