|MARSHFIELD SUN SPECIAL
EDITION, ANNUAL Jan 1, 1901
The text of this document is in the public domain. You have permission to copy this.
A Special thank you to the Marshfield Sun Printing Museum, Coos Bay, Oregon, for making available the original of the Special Edition for me to copy photos and graphics.
Edited by Marilee Miller
Note: The original tabloid was 30 pages, 3-column-wide. The type is too small to reduce entire pages to fit a computer screen. So here is the complete text, but in a totally new format..
Compilation copyright (c) 2005 by Marilee Miller
MARSHFIELD SUN [large caps] [the 3 lines are centered]
 ILLUSTRATED  [small caps]
Special Edition, 1901
[script, with old-english f on part of the "s " characters, but not all. ]
[centered] A graphic description of the Marvelous Resources and Magni-
ficent Attractions of Coos County, Oregon, with its Wealth
in Coal Mining, Lumbering, Creameries, Salmon Canneries,
and the wonderful fertility of its farms, its increasing prospects,
and the inducements offered those in search of permanent homes.
SUN PUBLISING Co, Publishers, Marshfield, Ore. [smaller caps]
Marshfield Sun Special Edition 1901 [Annual] [bold]
OUR SPECIAL EDITION. [subhead; bold]
We have issued this special illustrated edition of the Marshfield Sun for the purpose of making known to the outside world the vastness and diversity of the natural resources of Coos County. Within its pages will be found graphic descriptions and illustrations of the leading industries of our county and sketches of the career of our prominent business men. It would be impossible to give an extended account and particulars in detail of every industry engaged in Coos county, but we have aimed to hint at the facts in a general way, and to the outsider who desires more information of this commonwealth, we will be pleased to furnish with the same. In the publication of this volume we have secured the services of the best writers to contribute articles of value to those seeking homes. There are fine lands in Coos and plenty of them and those in quest of a location will do well to investigate for themselves. We have endeavored in the preparation of this number to give each section of Coos county equal representation, showing favors to none, but justice
to one and all. This issue will be sent far and near, and the good thus derived may not be apparent at once, but if it [illegible; = attracts?] the attention of the home-seeker and business man to the garden spot of Oregon we shall be satisfied.
[2-column photo . (pg. 1]
Sectional View of Marshfield
Photo by Stauff
[M. The above text was like a preamble. The main title is below photos.]
Remarks on the Bay and County of Coos [largish type, bold]
* * * * By Star Key * * * * [sub-head, bold]
In a descriptive narrative of this section of the coast credit should be given to the early settlers who hewed the pathway in advance and who were first in developing its resources. The battle with hardships, the dangers averted and the obstacles encountered were all met with patience and perseverance: therefore we owe them a word of praise in recognition of their early efforts in the virgin woods, encompassed by ferocious animals and treacherous Indians. There are lofty ideals; yet none transcend that of the pioneer who risks every thing an uncertain venture; who forsakes the enjoyment and advantages of civilization to enter into a project that may result disastrously to him and his. Many of the early pioneers of Coos have departed this life, and those who are still with us are in "the sere and yellow leaf;" therefore, all honor to the pioneers of Coos county.
Coos Bay. [subhead; bold]
A great deal has been written on the resources of Oregon, and truly it is a country of immense capacity. The south-west portion, in which Coos County is a leading feature, has not received that at- [ illegible] due the climate, [illegible = manifold?] fold resources, and position, demand. Coos bay coming first in importance as a commercial center and distributing point for the surrounding country, will first attract attention. The entrance to Coos bay is situated in about
43 degrees north latitude, and 124 west. By referring to a chart or map its position will be observed to the northward and close to cape Arago , on which stands a prominent lighthouse.
The channel at the entrance has thirty feet of water at mean tide. Since the government improvement at the entrance commenced, the depth of water on the bar has been steadily increasing. It speaks volumes for the harbor to know that thirty sailing vessels and ten steamers are trading between this port and San Francisco, California, and there is steam connection with Portland and other ports of the coast. Passing Rocky Point after entering the port we have the full sweep of the lower bay before us, about a mile wide and eight in length. The long sand spit with high dunes which support a variety of timber, are on our left hand, a permanent barrier to the fierce waves of the great Pacific ocean. Here, on this magnificent sheet of water, there is sufficient space for thousands of vessels to anchor in safety. Passing up the bay we observe the pioneer town of Coos Bay -- Empire City. At this place the Southern Oregon Company have [sic] built
a fine mill which has a cutting capacity of 150,000 feet of lumber daily. Proceeding we turn to the right at North Bend where a magnificent sight bursts into view. We have now entered the upper bay, and the scene is one to be remembered and to absorb studious attention. The distant hills are clothed from base to summit with an evergreen envelope, and the lofty fir trees abound on every hand. Cedar, myrtle, and other varieties of timber extend in every direction. Great
quantities of timber are destroyed in clearing land; the same, if stored or otherwise preserved, would be valuable in the manufacture of furniture and other fine work. Commencing with the North Bend mill we can count four sawmills within range of the eye.
Coos river enters the bay at the left hand upper corner, directly opposite Marshfield. There are some fine farms on this river and the orchards for beauty and flavor of fruit are unsurpassed. This section stands unequalled for dairying and stock raising. The winters are so mild that cattle roam through the timber and over the hills and require but little feed from their owners. There are scattering tracts of land from which the timber has been burned and grass has grown in those burned districts, as they are called, and in these and on the banks of streams and open spaces cattle find abundant feed. It is no uncommon thing for fine beef to be taken off the ranges in January which have had no feed furnished to them excepting what they have found in pasture. Snow seldom falls, and when it does appear it is so light, and lies so little time on the ground, that it does not prevent the cattle
Pg 2 [M. This, and most pages hereafter, say at top, centered:] MARSHFIELD SUN ANNUAL
from finding the grass which the dense woods afford abundant shelter from the wind. The cool, but temperate climate is admirably adapted to making butter and cheese, and those industries are very remunerative.
In illustration of manufacture of cheese, a table furnished by one of the best farmers in the county will show what is
done in the line. The table gives the result from the milking of 60 cows 30 of [printout illegible] milkers and 30 poor milkers.
[chart; not copied]
Weight of cheese, after shrinkage, 23,496 pounds.
This product was sold in Marshfield at prices ranging from 10 to 15 cents per pound.
There are many products which can be raised here at a profit. The bottom lands produce beets of the finest quality and will average at least twenty tons to thee acre. There has been a movement looking toward the establishment of a beet sugar manufactory, but nothing definite has yet been accomplished. Fruit growing is a flourishing industry throughout the county, there being a large export trade to California. The varieties produced are apples, pears, quinces, plums, cherries, and smaller fruits. The trees begin to bear when remarkably young and are exceedingly healthy and vigorous and being free from disease, will live to a great age. The trees are very productive and the fruit possesses a delicious flavor. This county is a very Eden for cherries, plums and prunes. Strawberries, currants, raspberries, gooseberries and cranberries of a fine quality are raised in abundance. Several varieties of the hardier grapes are also cultivated. Blackberries are cultivated and they also grow wild in the woods in vast quantities, and are a natural product of the soil. Fruit trees will grow from six to eight feet the first year and bear fruit the second, third and fourth years according to variety. They thrive in the valleys as well as on the foothills, and up to a considerable height in the mountains, but especially in dry, sheltered soil. Yearling prune and yearling cherry trees seven feet high have been exhibited. Apple trees commence bearing very young, sometimes producing fine fruit the second year after grafting and, if properly cultivated, are always in bearing when four or five years old.
Climate. [subhead; bold]
The climate is remarkable in its equability; and, while it is a physical impossibility to discover a climate that will suit each case, we are not afflicted with extremes of heat or cold.
A report of the signal service is subjoined, showing the mean temperature for each month of the year.
[chart; not copied]
Lumber. [subhead; bold]
With accessible facilities and an unlimited supply of material, a lamentable picture is displayed in the cessation of labor resulting from the suspension in operating two of the largest saw mills on Coos Bay. Litigation is the cause in one case, but in the other the motive is not apparent. Both companies own exclusive timber tracts, and possess excellent positions for the manufacture of lumber and the construction of sea-going vessels. It is to be hoped that in the [illegible; = near?] future "the clouds will roll by," and that then these superb mills will be set in motion adding to the bright outlook for business on the bay [printout illegible] buzz of their wheels.
During the past forty years the North Bend mill and the Newport coal mine have been operated continually, and the proprietors of these industries deserve commendation and the reward merited by their perseverance. That which has been accomplished by the untiring efforts of A. M. Simpson, the late firm of Flanagan and Mann, and Goodall, Perkins, and Company, can be accomplished by others, consequently the activity now apparent on Coos bay and the
Coquille river is an omen of more extensive operations in coal, lumber, creameries, and canneries. The progression and development of the resources of Coos County have been tardy, owing principally to a paucity of capital: but now that attention has been called to the possibilities of a harvest from the stores of nature hitherto lying dormant, capital has approached, and there is no doubt of its obtaining tangible results and remuneration commensurate with the undertaking.
Coal. [subhead; bold]
The coal which is found in the local coal measures, is lignite or brown coal, and is the best for domestic use of any found on the Pacific coast. It carries but little dust or soot and burns well. It is not claimed to be the best for steam, although it is much used for that purpose. The country has not been thoroughly prospected; and shafts have not been sunk to any great depth; but it is estimated that in the Coos county coal fields there are four hundred square miles of underlying coal beds. The amount of coal in such a vast field can hardly be estimated. All the coal which has heretofore been mined, exported, and consumed locally, has not worked out two square miles of territory. Much of this coal land can be bought for from ten to twenty dollars an acre. The Newport mine continues to run steadily and is no doubt profitable. It has a rail road about three miles long from the mine to deep water. Other mines can be worked profitably but are waiting capital to take hold and develop them. The coal measures on the Coquille river have not yet been fairly prospected but the good work is going on both on the river and on the bay and the ventures being in the hands of expert miners, there is a fair prospect of success. The export trade in timber and coal is increasing gradually; and before the end of the approaching year - 1901 - the prospects are that the business will receive such vigorous propulsion as portends prosperity and permanent progress.
Marshfield [subhead; bold]
The accompanying cut shows only a sectional view of Marshfield, and was taken from a photograph by E. A. Stauff. Marshfield is situated on the head of Coos bay and at the confluence of Coos river, Isthmus and Coal Bank sloughs. It is the metropolis of the county, and the first city of importance to Coos county, and a shipping and distributing center for the neighboring towns, where saw mills, coal mines, creameries, logging camps, ship yards, etc., are operated. Its
growth in business and population in late years has been a marked one, which bids fair to continue for many years.
Marshfield is populated with an intelligent and progressive class of people who lend every encouragement both in deed and act to the establishment of enterprises in this section. For example, the citizens of our town, notwithstanding we have a modern, up-to-date shipbuilding plant in active operation within the city limits, contributed a subsidy of $1,000 to
Capt. H. R. Reed to establish a yard across the bay, one mile from Marshfield. This is only one of the many acts of encouragement of our generous and progressive residents. In the past year over three thousand dollars has been spent in the improvement of streets in this city, and surveyors are at work on the plans for a complete sewer system for the town, which is to be put in during the coming year. Besides public improvement the year just closed has broken the record on
building in Marshfield, business blocks and numerous fine residences having been erected. Marshfield is a modern town with telephone, electric light, and water system. The water system which is on the gravity plan, maintaining 100 [or? illegible] pounds pressure to the square inch, was installed two years since, which, with an excellent volunteer fire department, caused the underwriters after investigation to reduce the rates of insurance to the minimum. We also have a
La France steam fire engine which is always kept in readiness on the water front, thus giving to the city a protection from fire, which is equal to any town of twice its size on the Pacific coast.
The financial interests of this city have always been protected by the well-known banking firm of Flanagan and Bennett. This institution has withstood, like the rock of Gibraltar, all the panics and is known in banking circles as one of the solidest firms on the Pacific coast, a fact to which we point with much pride. Marshfield supports a free reading room, under the direction of the Y. M. C. A. and in keeping with the general advancement in the line of moral, educational and spirit-
ual improvement maintains six churches of different denominations.
The foregoing statements are but a few of the brief facts -- no more, no less, they are neither embellished nor exaggerated. The beauties and interests of Marshfield are too well-known to warrant any other than a truthful exposition. If you are contemplating a change of home and desire to locate where the acme of intelligence, moral worth, and wealth besides can be maintained, come to Marshfield. By an act of the last legislature Marshfield was re-incorporated as a city, the present officials being: E. A. Anderson, mayor; W. H. S. Hyde, recorder; J. S. Coke, Jr., city attorney; W. B. Curtis, F. P. Norton, Wm. Nasburg, J. N. Nelson, Chas. Bradbury and J. A. Matson, aldermen; John Carter, marshal; J. E. Fitzgerald,
nightwatchman [ sic].
THE MARSHFIELD SCHOOL [subhead; bold]
If there is one thing the citizens of Marshfield are prouder of than any other it is their excellent public school. The fine edifice shown in the accompanying cut was erected in 1895 at a cost of about $15,000. Prior to that time the school facilities were very poor. The building was antiquated, containing only four illy lighted [sic], heated and ventilated rooms. The new structure contains on the upper floors, eight large school rooms, a spacious assembly hall, principal's office, and three broad stairways. In the basement there are furnace and fuel rooms and two large play rooms for boys and girls separate from each other. All the class rooms are provided with the most approved style of cloak rooms and teacher's private closets. There are speaking tubes throughout the building, and each room is fitted with an electric bell so arranged that they may be sounded singly or all at once, from the principal's desk. There is, besides, a large gong in the assembly hall for regulating the movements of the school. The building is well furnished and is equipped with necessary apparatus, including an excellent piano. The heating and ventilating are the most modern and approved, being the "Morgan system" of warm air. Each room is lighted by
four spacious double windows, throwing the light to the rear of and from the left side of the pupils. The trimmings of the building are of white cedar, finished in hard oil varnish, in the natural color of the wood. The walls are plastered in neutral tints with white ceilings.
On entering the new building, the school was thoroughly graded, and a two years high school course was added to the work. The latter is in addition to the work of the average country high school, includes plain and solid geometry and two years in Latin. The course is so comprehensive and the work so thorough, that the school is accredited at the state university with fifty credits for admission to that institution -- an honor conferred upon no other institution in the state with less than three years of high school work.
The grading of the school and the arranging of the details of the work have been effected under the skillful management of the present principal, Prof. F. A. Golden, a graduate of one of the leading Eastern universities. Mr. Golden's experience of fifteen years devoted to teaching in some of the best public schools and colleges of large Eastern cities has rendered his services of great value in raising the school to its present high standard. Too much praise cannot be given the school boards of the town for their loyal devotion to the interests of the school. The best teaching force available is secured, regardless of residence, politics, religion or "influence." This is the chief secret of the success of the school. Of the present corps of assistants, one comes from Iowa, a classical graduate of Knox College, Ill., two are normal school graduates, one is an experienced teacher from New York, and all are highly skilled in their respective grades. To show their enthusiasm in educational work: it may be remarked here that four of the corps will next vacation,
take a summer course in methods at the Chicago Institute, under Dr. Parker. As an evidence of the reputation the teachers of our school have made, it is a noteworthy fact that three have been appointed to lucrative positions in the Portland city schools, one has gone into the Astoria schools, and two have secured appointments in Roseburg. The school ranks among the best in the state, and has been the cause of inducing quite a number of families to invest in homes in Marshfield to secure the benefit of its educational advantages. Besides these, there are quite a number of
non-resident pupils in attendance, who have been attracted to the school by its thoroughness. The remarkably high degree of system and order maintained in the school has been a subject of great surprise to visitors from other sections, including Portland and San Francisco. Wherever, in the state, Marshfield people visit they are met with the inquiry, "Is not your town the place where they have such a fine school?"
Since the high school was established there have been four graduating classes, numbering thirty-one members. The present senior class has thirteen members, and the enrollment of the school for the present session, up to the time these statistics were secured, is 345. Five years ago 189 was considered a large attendance.
The board of directors at present consists of Dr. J. T. McCormac, chairman, and Messrs. F. "Hagelstein and C. A. Johnson. Mr. John F. Hall has for many years past been the school clerk.
[photo of school] [pg. 3]
Marshfield's Graded and High School.
Photo by Stauff
THE MARSHFIELD ELECTRIC AND GAS COMPANY. [subhead; bold. (takes 2 lines in column format)]
One of the most important features of Marshfield's progressiveness is the successful operation of a splendid electric light plant by the Marshfield Electric Light and Gas Company. Operations were commenced in 1891 and the project at once met with the hearty support of the people generally. The plant has a capacity of 700 incandescent and 40 arc lights, and the service is unexcelled. The power house is conveniently located in West Marshfield near Mill slough and is
arranged in a systematic manner. This institution gives employment to four men, and at times extra help is needed. F. M. Friedberg, whose ability as a skilled electrician goes without saying, is manager of the concern and is entitled to praise for courteous treatment of customers and for the excellent and uninterrupted service given the people. The company furnishes the municipality with 16 all-night arc lights, also what incandescents are needed in the city hall and fire engine house. Besides the patronage of the city the company has contracts for lighting all of the principal business houses and a great many residences. The business of the company is still increasing for everywhere it is apparent that the man who is enterprising enough to [printout illegible; = use?] electricity [printout illegible; = in the matter of?] lights in his busines [sic] is the one who is most likely to meet with success. When certain proposed arrangements with the municipality are satisfactorily completed this company announces that it will at once plan for
the enlargement of and complete remodeling of its plant, thereby making it possible to serve all parties who do not now feel justified in using the modern illuminant.
GOVERNMENT IMPROVEMENTS TO COOS BAY AND COQUILLE RIVER. [subhead; bold. Takes two lines in column format]
Extracts of Official Report. [subhead, bold.]
Nature provided Coos county with two gateways to the Pacific ocean -- Coos bay and the Coquille river -- that have become known throughout the entire length of this coast in shipping circles. These harbors have, besides their natural advantages, received attention and improvements of our national government to assist in their perfection, large sums of money being spent annually on the same. Besides the improvement in the entrances the government has done
considerable dredging and removing of obstacles to transportation in their inner harbors. This fact is due chiefly to the demands of our important commerce.
Coquille River. [subhead; bold]
The Coquille river enters the Pacific ocean in the southwestern part of Oregon.
It is formed by four small forks, which, coming from the Coast range of mountains, unite in the vicinity of the town of Myrtle Point. It is a tidal river, navigated by coasting vessels and steamers to Coquille City, a distance of about 26 miles from its mouth, and from thence to Myrtle Point, a farther distance of 14 miles, by river steamers. In his report for the year 1900 to the secretary of war, Captain W. W. Harts, in charge of the improvement of rivers and harbors of Western Oregon, speaking f the Coquille river, suggests: "On account of the conditions surrounding the work of constructing the jetties at the entrance to Coquille river it would be much more economical if funds for carrying on the work could be provided by Congress in instalments [sic] of at least $50,000 each. The appropriation of March 3, 1899, $40,000, was the largest ever made for the work. Prior to that appropriation nine appropriations were made, aggregating
$170,000, or an average of less than $15,000 each. If the north jetty is to be completed within the estimated cost it will be necessary that the appropriations be larger and thus make it possible to prolong the periods of active operations, which, in turn, will render it possible to dispense with some of the expense that has been incurred in past years in making repairs to the tramways, etc. rendered necessary by natural decay, the ravages of the terredo [M. a marine worm] and the
In conclusion Captain Hart [sic] says: "The principal articles of commerce carried over the bar at the entrance to the Coquille river are lumber and coal. This commerce is loaded on small coasting vessels along the 25 miles of the river between its mouth and Coquille and by them taken to San Francisco. Considerable coal, a valuable and scarce commodity on the Pacific coast, is found on Coquille river [sic] about 15 miles above its mouth."
Coos Bay. [subhead. Bold]
Coos bay it a tidal estuary on the Pacific coast in Oregon, about 400 miles north of San Francisco. It is the principal harbor between San Francisco and the Columbia river, says Captain Harts, who, in his last report on its improvement remarks as follows: "The present approved project provides for the construction of two high-tide rubblestone jetties, the north jetty to extend seaward from the southern end of the north sand spit and the south jetty to start from Coos Head, the two jetties to converge so that the outer entrance shall have a width of about 1500 feet, their object being to create and maintain a low water depth of at least 20 feet. The setimated [sic] cost of this improvement is $2,466,412.00 exclusive of the amount expended on the original project."
"The amount expended under the present project up to June 30, 1899, $516,727.03, was for partially enrocking [sic] the north jetty throughout its entire projected length of 9,600 feet, which resulted in obtaining a channel through the bar at the entrance to the bay with the low tide depth of from 18 to 22 feet, or 23 to 27 feet at high tide. The projected depth of 20 feet at low tide was, therefore, practically obtained before the north jetty had been enrocked up to its proposed
height throughout its projected length of 9,600 feet, and before anything whatever had been done toward constructing the south jetty contemplated in the project of improvement."
THE SPORTSMAN'S PARADISE [subhead; bold]
It is a well-known fact that Coos county is the paradise of the sportsman, made so by the endless variety f game that can be secured within so short a distance from the leading cities of the county. While the nimrod has enjoyed the sport of killing numbers of wild game, bear, deer and elk are still plentiful in the mountains and upland birds are found in large numbers. In the line of aquatic fowl, ducks, geese, English snipe, are secured with but little exertion, and visitors from
abroad seem amazed when bags of from 50 to 100 are made. This is no uncommon occurrence. Hunting parties frequent this section of Oregon every summer from San Francisco and other parts, and enjoy camping along the beautifully shaded streams, while they engage in hunting deer. Fishing is exceptionally good at different seasons of the year, and salmon trout are taken out by the score.
STOCK RAISING [subhead; bold]
A Lucrative Industry in Coos County. [subhead; bold]
Coos county is very favorably adapted to the stock-raising industry and has long been noted as one of the leading counties in this state in this branch. It is generally admitted that the facilities afforded by nature in this county for the growing of horses, cattle and sheep, are equal, if not superior, to any found in any other portion of the United States. The most noted cattle ranges are found in the upper Coquille valley. Here thousands of head find feed the year round [sic], and it is a seldom occurrance [sic] that they have to be fed during the winter -- this only being the case when severe weather continues a great length of time. Coos county exports annually thousands of head of beef cattle to San Francisco, besides nearly as large a number being driven to Oakland , and thence shipped to Eastern ranges. This last year witnessed the shipment of 1,500 head of calves -- milk stock -- which were purchased in this county by J. A. Yoakam, to the extensive creamery company in Fresno, California.
While in later years our farmers have gone into raising of dairy stock, for the supplying of creameries, which has proven to be a more remunerative occupation, the production of the number of head of beef cattle has not been perceptibly diminished.
[photo of Marshfield race course ; three-columns wide pg. 4]
SCENE AT MARSHFIELD RACE COURSE -- DISTRICT FAIR, 1900
Photo by Stauff
A VISITOR'S FIRST OPINION OF COOS COUNTY.
[two lines in the narrow column format] [bold]
Scenic Beauty Cannot Be Excelled. [subhead. Bold.]
"Thou nature art my godess [sic], to thy law
My services are bound." --Shakespeare.
Born with that love of nature and all that affords pleasure in the pathless woods, I have wandered from one corner of the world to the other -- seeking the new and strange things that come along the beaten
path of the world wanderer. From the occident to the orient, from north to south -- one year finding me in the frozen fields in the Georgian Bay of the great Northwest in the British possession of Canada, and then again in a short time to be laying [sic] amidst the sunny fields of the Southern archipelago of Australasia, from ocean to ocean and sea to sea -- till my heart's desire is perfectly satisfied with the changes of life.
"God made the country and man made the town." To me it has always been repulsive to tramp the stoney streets [sic] of our great cities and to elbow one's way through the crowds of ever-changing pedestrians that yield to the centrifugal force that attracts to our great cities the best blood of our country homes. Oh, how often have I seen upon the highways of our large cities the youth of both sexes (who not long ago were amidst the rural scenes of their country homes)
battling with inexperience -- struggling with great odds -- and in many cases doomed to be drawn into the vortex of sin and dissipation -- when at the same time there is preseentted and offered to them a life of purity, ease, and comfort in his country home. And so, tiring of the stone fronts, and brick buildings of our large cities, I find myself wandering amidst the scenes of country life. Oh, how peaceful and restful it is to wander amidst the Virgin woods of this country and watch with interest the growth of a new power. In my wandering through this [printout illegible; = well?] enriched land, I find so many things to amuse, interest and educate. From my enterance [sic] of Coos Head on the steamer Arcata -- with other travelers, to the present time, it has been one succession of happy events in my wandering. The various sloughs and rivers, the ranches of which along their banks have been enriched by the alluvial soil washed down from the rich hill lands and depositing, almost each year a new source of wealth to the owner. There is nothing more enchanting than to go amongst the various ranches of North and South Coos river, and you take in the bay on the north, and Hayne's slough [sic]. Coming up the bay further you enter Kentuck slough. Then comes Willanch slough. Each of these streams have from ten to twelve ranches situated along their banks, and they all look in a prosperous and happy condition. Then comes the great waterway, Coos river, which is plied twice a day by passenger and freight steamers.
The steamer Alert, taking the north, and steamers Coos River and Alma taking the south fork. This gives a good service to all who desire to come and go, carrying freight and passengers to any point, making Marshfield the terminus. There are arrangements being made to make the head of navigation on the north fork the terminus of the Douglas County road. If this is done, and there is every prospect of its being effected, passengers leaving Drain can reach Marshfield the same
day, and so save many hours of tedious travel.
In my candid opinion as a world traveler, I can see nothing but contentment, wealth and happiness for the ranchers of Coos county. What has been done in other counties similarly situated can be done in Coos, and it will not be many years before the richness of the soil will fill the purses of the many ranchers of the valleys. There is opening for us on this coast a great future and when we get in touch with the outside world and reach out for the western trade, our future is
secured. -- GEORGE.
J. C. YALE, THE VETERAN COMMERCIAL TRAVELER. [subhead; bold; takes 2 lines.]
July, 1873 was a most fortunate year for the few and unimportant merchandise stores that were found in Coos county. At that time J. C. Yale [, ] full representative of the then most popular and well-known firm of Levi, Strauss & Co., of San Francisco, made his appearance, full of the energy of the knights of the road. Mr. Yale made his "debut" amongst us in that typical character which he has so well sustained. When the full history of Coos county is written, and the pioneer
commercial travelers are fully recorded in its annals, there will be none that can hold precedent to Mr. Yale. As we are well acquainted with the gentleman, we are fully prepared to speak with knowledge of the attractive characteristics of the gentleman. We have often heard him speak of his rough, long, and tedious journey up the slough -- over the trails -- by the river route-- and most of all that Beaver slough trip to Coquille with Capt. Edwards, now owner of the steamer
"Alert," was one that was not easily effected, and many were the times when darkness came on the party, and left them to shift for themselves. Not one man in a hundred would stand the hardships that Mr. Yale has been exposed to in the early days of his canvassing in Coos county. But with that determined energy that has always been Mr. Yale's most attractive quality he proceeded with his undiminished zeal. There are very few old residents who do not know the well-known figure, and the common remark on our streets when he passes is "Hello, Jack." Then comes a hearty shake of the hands, for Mr. Yale has made no enemies in all these many years. Those of our merchants who have purchased goods of Mr. Yale, well know his persistent and determined character, and always look for that happy smile that makes the wary merchant very careful. For twenty-seven years his genial and happy face has been seen among us every ninety days, and many are the merchants who wait for him. But years creep on, and the white locks of our old friend tells us that we cannot have him with us always. On his last visit to us the house that he represents sent along with him a packer and assistant, a very pleasant young and genial gentleman by the name of Fred W. McNamara. The services of this assistant relieves Mr. Yale of a great deal of the heavy work, and we hope that with this assistance, to have Mr. Yale and his
assistant with us many years.
[photo of ships' masts and "harbor"] [two columns wide] [pg 5]
SHIPPING SCENE AT NORTH BEND
NORTH BEND MILL [subhead. Bold]
A city's growth and prosperity is dependent largely upon her people. Natural advantages and favorable locations are factors of no small importance, but enterprise, energy and business ability of the people are the agencies necessary to the growth and permanency of any important commercial and manufacturing center. It should be a source of genuine pride to every person in Coos county, to note the growth and development of the resources and possibilities of North Bend in an industrial and commercial sense, and all should encourage so far as possible those manufacturing industries that are so desirable to any community. Probably no firm in Southern Oregon has done more to develop this particular branch of industry than A. M. and L. J. Simpson, with their wholesale lumber yards, their saw mills, shipyard, general merchandise
house, and their perfectly equipped railroad, which taps 6,000 acres of the finest timber lands in Oregon. This body of timber lies on the Daniels and Marlowe creeks, both of which empty into the south fork of Coos river. Their railroad is some eight miles in length, is broad gauge, and the best equipped logging railroad on the Pacific coast. Their main yard and offices, as well as their planing mills, are located in North Bend; their planing mill is thoroughly equipped with modern machinery, including band, circular and ripsaws, steam buffer, surface matchers, sticker trimmers, etc. Their saw mill has a capacity of 75,000 feet per day, which is more than three times the capacity of the old mill which was built sometime in the early 50's by Capt. A. M. Simpson of San Francisco. Their present mill was built in 1887-88 and the old one destroyed. Their product is not only shipped to San Fran-
[photo 2 column wide pg. 6]
NORTH BEND MILL PLANT looking West.
cisco, but to foreign ports. During the past years a great number of improvements have been made about the plant, amongst which may be mentioned their new store and office building, some fifteen new residences for the accommodation of the mill employes [sic], a new dock 100 x 125, and the old wharf extended out some thirty-eight feet into deeper water, also a dock warehouse 40 x 50 feet.
The timber resources of Coos bay are unexcelled anywhere on the Pacific coast. Here is found in abundance the famous Port Orford white cedar, used extensively in the ship yards of the bay. The ship-yard owned and operated by the North Bend mill is probably the most famous on the Pacific coast. It was here that the first departures and improvements in ship-building were inaugurated by the foremost ship-builder of the coast, Capt. A. M. Simpson. The first barkentine,
bald-headed schooner, three, four and five masted schooners built on the Pacific coast were constructed here by their designer [, ] the same Capt. Simpson. The old brig Arago was built in 1859 at these yards, and is yet in commission, forty years old and still running, which speaks well for the durability of Coos bay timber and the thorough workmanship of the North Bend shipyards. Since the construction of the Arago, fifty-three vessels have been built at these yards. The last one, the four-masted schooner Churchill, was 172 feet keel, 40 feet beam, with 11 feet 6 inches depth of hold. She recently loaded a cargo of piles aggregating 50,000 lineal feet, and even then left with less than half a deck load. She is estimated to carry over 1,000,000 feet of lumber.
The keel has just been laid at these yards for another schooner, with dimensions of 180 feet keel, 40 feet beam, and 15 feet 6 inches depth of hold. Active operations have already commenced and orders have been received by manager Simpson to rush work with all dispatch so that the keel for another vessel may be laid as soon as possible.
[photo, 2 columns wide pg. 6]
Scene on North Bend Mill's Logging Railroad.
COQUILLE CREAMERY [subhead; bold.]
The above creamery is situated on the bank of the Coquille river an three-fourths of a mile from Coquille city. It is the oldest creamery now running in Coos county, and is owned by Hillmer & Bredhoff of San Francisco, California, and operated under a lease for the past eight years by C. Romander. This creamery has a daily capacity of 9,000 pounds. Mr. Romander buys all milk used by himself from the farmers both up and down the Coquille river and in this way last season distributed between them $35,000 or $40,000. His butter output for the same season was 150,000 pounds, which was all shipped to San Francisco, California.
Mr. Romander was born in Sweden on June 23, 1862. He received his education in the old country, graduating from the Sweden Normal College in 1879, and from the State Agricultural College, an institution owned by the government, in 1881. After graduating from the above institution, he emigrated to the United States, landing in New York, but in a short while moved to California, where he followed dairying for four years; then British Columbia, and later to
Washington, and in 1892 came to Coquille City, Oregon, and took charge of the Coquille creamery. Mr Romander was married in New York in 1895 to Miss Hannah M. Frastonson, of Sweden. Mr. Romander affiliates with the I.O. O. F., Chadwick No. 68, and the Woodmen.
H. SENGSTACKEN DRUG CO. [subhead; bold]
The apothecary shop, as it was called in "ye olden times," was a most important one in the community. The same is true today, and the modern drug store can be found in every neighborhood and community, but we doubt if a more complete pharmacy than of H. Sengstacken's can be found in Southern Oregon. This well-known and popular establishment enjoys a reputation second to no store in the county, and physicians or patients having their medicines compounded at this store can rely upon their accuracy and genuineness. The stock is complete in every detail and nothing but the very best is kept. Prescriptions are prepared by careful and expert apothecaries, and the store is deservedly popular.
In every city there are certain commercial establishments whose importance and high standing constitute them an essential part and element of the city itself. These great commercial monuments are a source of pleasure and inspiration to all those collateral industries that go to make up the complete system of our great business centers. Therefore they are the principal factors and adjuncts in the upbuilding of every important center. We have such an establishment in
Marshfield in the mercantile house of H. Sengstacken. He is not only located in one of the finest build-
ings in the city, but has by far the largest and best assorted stock of dry goods, boots and shoes, gents' furnishing goods, drugs and druggists' supplies in Coos county, and as he buys for cash and in exceptionally large quantities direct from the manufacturers, he is enabled to undersell all competitors from 5 to 15 per cent. In his dry goods and gents' furnishing department he is showing some of the very latest designs and styles, and offering them at even lower prices than are
being asked [illegible] other merchants for patterns two years behind the times. In his grocery department will not only be found a complete line of imported fruits and vegetables put up expressly for this trade, but everything usually kept in a first class exclusive grocery store. In fact all of the different departments in this mammoth store are complete, and it will pay you to give him a call.
[2 photos spread over most of the 3 column width.] [pg, 7]
J. F. Schroeder Sheriff Gallier, Coquille
[J.] F. SCHROEDER. [subhead; bold] [first initial, J., is missing on microfilm printout]
Among the most highly respected and estimable pioneers of Coos county the name of J. F. Schroeder is always mentioned. A man of most exemplary habits, of warm sympathies, and who is ever willing to extend the hand of charity to any deserving cause or worthy individual. He has won a reputation for honesty, probity, and sobriety, that no words of ours can add to, and of which he is in every way deserving. Born in Baltimore, Md., September 15, 1844. His
education was received in the public schools of his native city. In 1859 his parents removed to Coos county, Oregon, locating on the Coquille River, where his father, Henry Schroeder, homesteaded 90 acres and purchased 110 acres. The subject of this sketch worked on his father's farm until he was 21 years old, when he bought 157 acres in the same neighborhood and commenced farming on his own hook. Since then he has added to his original purchase some 70
acres. In 1897 Mr. Schroeder built the Magnolia creamery on his farm. The creamery is complete in all details and all the milk used is supplied by a band of 50 head of cows, most of which are thoroughbred Jerseys, which are owned by himself. The most of the product of the creamery is shipped direct to San Francisco, Calif. Mr. Schroeder was married in 1855 to Miss Mary Grout, who was born on Clatsop plains at the mouth of the Columbia river, and has the honor of being the first white child born in Oregon. They have a family of three boys and two girls. Mr. Schroeder is a director on the school board, which position he has held off and on for the past twenty years.
STEPHEN GALLIER. [subhead; bold]
There are many people who really think that the duties of a county sheriff are light and easy and begrudge them the emoluments [sic] of the office. But merely thinking and knowing so are two different things, and the expression of the former opinion only indicate [sic] the speaker's ignorance of the serious and oft-times dangerous work this officer has to perform. The present efficient sheriff of Coos county is a man who stands very high among his constituents, and is the
fortunate possessor of a host of friends. He was born in Kendall county, Illinois, in 1857. In 1871, Mr. Gallier moved to California and later to Jackson county, Oregon; and two years later removed to Coos county, where he took up a homestead in the southern part of the county. In 1886 he removed to Bandon and ran the Tupper House until June, 1900, when he was elected sheriff. Mr. Gallier was married January 12, 1886, to Mary A. Langlois of Curry county. They
have an interesting family of two girls and one boy.
SILAS H. HAZARD [subhead; bold]
There is probably no member of the legal profession better or more favorably known throughout Southern Oregon than is the subject of this sketch, by reason of his long and intimate acquaintance with its leading men, and active participation in all matters of public import that have tended to advance the interests of this portion of the state. His ability and integrity have made for him friends in all classes of society. Mr. Hazard is a native of Louisiana, being born in Baton Rouge on the sixteenth day of June, 1838. When but six years old his parents removed to New Jersey, remaining but a short time they again removed first to Pennsylvania, then to Mississippi, and in October, 1848, located in Iowa City, Iowa. Mr. Hazard received his preliminary education in the public schools in Iowa City, and in 1855 entered the University of Iowa, where he remained for two years. He then accepted a position in the mercantile house of his brother-in-law, G. D. Palmer, where he remained for the next eighteen months. Resigning this position, he went to work on the farm where he remained until 1860, at which time he began the study of law under the well-known firm of Patterson & Robinson of Iowa City, where he remained until he was admitted, January 22, 1865. Shortly after being admitted, Mr. Hazard made a trip across the plains to San Francisco. In 1865 he returned to Iowa and purchased a farm. While living on this farm he continued to devote a part of his time to the practice of law, and in 1869, on account of the rapid increase of his practice, he was, in justice to himself and his clientage [sic], compelled to give up farming and devote his time to his law practice. In 1872 he removed to Oregon, and located in Empire city (then the county seat of Coos county). In June, 1876, Mr. Hazard was elected district attorney and re-elected in
[full page of photos pg. 8]
Coos Bay Packing Co.'s Salmon Cannery, Marshfield
H. Sengstacken's General Merchandise Store, Marshfield. Christensen & Johnson's Furniture Store, Marshfield.
Coquille Creamery, Coquille, C. Romander, Manager.
1878. On the twenty-fifth of July, 1900, Mr. Hazard removed to Marshfield and opened his office in the Bennett-Walters building. Mr. Hazard has decidedly one of the best law libraries in Southern Oregon if not in the state (outside of Portland). His library is very conveniently arranged along the walls of his suite of four office rooms, and consists of something over 2,000 volumes. Mr. Hazard is a member of the A. O. U. W.
[2 photos, spanning most of the 3 columns] [pg. 9]
S. H. Hazard J. F. Hall
JOHN F. HALL [subhead, bold]
John Hall is one of the best-known and highly esteemed lawyers of Coos county. He is an active, energetic citizen and a gentleman that takes an active interest in the welfare and prosperity of both the city and county of which he has been a resident for the past twenty-nine years. Born in Polk county, Oregon, on the sixteenth day of October, 1856, he remained there until his eleventh year, when he removed with his parents to Douglas county, where he spent the next two
years of his life. He then removed to Coos county, locating on Isthmus slough, two miles from Marshfield, where his father first preempted [sic] and later homesteaded his place He remained on the farm until 1875 when he accepted a position in a saw mill where he remained for two years. The next year he spent on the sea. Returning home he rented his father's farm. In 1882 he was elected county surveyor and re-elected in 1884. While county surveyor Mr. Hall read law under T. G. Owen, and in 1886 under Col. John Kelsay of Corvallis, and was admitted October, 1887. In March, 1900, he was appointed city treasurer. In 1890 Mr. Hall was elected school clerk, which position he still holds, having been re-elected each term. He has also been a member of the Democratic state and county central committees, and takes great interest in the welfare of his party. He, in connection with his brother, J. T. Hall, conduct a real estate and insurance business, Mr. J. T. Hall looking after this line of the business, Mr. John F. devotin his time and attention to his law practice. Their offices are located in the Eldorado building. Mr. Hall was married in 1882, to Miss Mary Strickling, of Texas. They have one child, a girl, two years old. Mr. Hall is a member of the I. O. O. F., K. of P. and Workmen.
CHRISTENSEN & JOHNSON. [subhead; bold]
The above firm is one of the largest and most important mercantile houses in Coos county, and it is their claim that they carry not only the largest but also the best assorted stock in the county of furniture, linoleum, window shades, and in fact, everything usually found in a first class, up-to-date furniture house. Their patronage is not confined to the boundary lines of Marshfield, but extends over the entire county, and on account of the large territory covered by them, they have established a mail order department that has become a very important branch of their business. They also carry a very complete stock of undertaking goods and supplies, and as Mr. Johnson has had years of practical experience is especially prepared to take care of all business in this line entrusted to them.
C. A. Johnson, resident manager of the above firm was born in Finland on November 15, 1849. He received his education in the public schools of his native country, where he remained until 1872, at which time he emigrated to the United States, and on the seventeenth day of September, 1872, landed at Boston, Massachusetts, where he remained for one and a half years, when he removed to San Francisco, California. Remaining a short time, he removed to Oregon, and in 1874, removed to North Bend, Coos county, and accepted a position in the ship yards as ship carpenter. In 1886, in connection with Mr. Christensen and Mr. Lackstrom, he embarked in the furniture business. In August of the same year Messrs. Christensen and Johnson bought Mr. Lackstrom's interest and the firm has remained Christensen & Johnson ever since. Mr. Johnson was married in 1879 to Miss Minnie Greenman. They have nine children living, five boys and four
girls. Mr. Johnson is serving his second three-year term as school director, also second term as councilman. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and Workmen.
THOMAS HIRST. [subhead; bold]
There is one subject in which the people of Oregon, and especially the younger generation, will never lose interest, and that is the lives and doings of the pioneers and men of early days. They have always been regarded as heroes by the world, and as time elapses that feeling is strengthened, and very properly so, as no where [sic] else has been found the peculiar and famous circumstances which made the Oregon of the early days and the people what they are. It is hence, with no apology, that we present this sketch of the life of Thomas Hirst, one of Coos county's oldest and most esteemed citizens. Mr. Hirst was born in England in 1835. When but 15 years old he emigrated to the United States, spending three years in Ohio, then removed to Australia, where he remained for five years, then returned to the United States, landing in San Francisco, and one year later removed to Oregon, locating on the Coquille river, where he preempted [sic] a homestead, which, at that time was covered with a dense forest of heavy myrtle and maple. After clearing a part of his farm he became engaged in stock raising, and in the flood of 1861 he, like others who had their farms on the banks of the Coquille river, lost all of their cattle, farm implements, and in fact about everything except their land.
In 1873 Mr. Hirst removed to Marshfield and bought into the general mercantile house of A. Nasburg, and in 1875 they built their present building which is two stories 40 x 60. On the death of Mr. Nasburg in June, 1894, Mr. Hirst wound up the estate and has continued in the business at the old stand ever since. Mr. Hirst was one of the town trustees when Marshfield was organized and re-elected four times. He has also been school trustee a number of terms. He was post
master of Marshfield in 1881-2, and for a number of previous was deputy post master under Mr. Nasburg. Mr. Hirst was married in 1855 to Miss Louise A. Melton, of Australia. He affiliates with the I. O. O. F. and K. of P. While Mr. Hirst still conducts a general merchandise business he is making more of a specialty of his grocery department, in which line he has an especially heavy and well assorted stock.
[ 2 photos, spanning most of the 3 columns] [pg. 10]
Thos. Hirst Capt. C. E. Edwards
STEAMER ALERT [subhead; bold]
Leaves Alleghany every morning at 7 A. M., arrives at Marshfield at 10 A. M. Leaves Marshfield at 2 P. M., arrives at Alleghany at 5 P. M.
This is the scenic route of Coos county.
CAPT. CHARLES E. EDWARDS [subhead; bold]
There are many requisites for success in life, but energy and perseverance count for most, and the man with the best "rustling" abilities stands a much better chance of winning golden sheckels than one without this qualification. Capt. Edwards, the subject of this sketch, has proved himself to be a "rustler" of the first class. Chas. E. Edwards was born in Miama [sic] county, Indiana, in 1853. When he was but one year old his parents removed to Wisconsin, and later to northern Kansas. In 1871 Mr. Edwards came to the Pacific coast and accepted a position on Mr. John Rooney's sugar ranch, and later became foreman and remained in that position for three years. In 1875 he came to Coos county, and shortly after his arrival accepted a position as ships [sic] carpenter, and assisted in building the steamer, "Little Annie" which was launched in November, 1876, at which time he accepted a position as one of her deck hands, and later became engineer and in the fall of 1878 master, which position he held until 1883, when he became engaged in the furniture business at Myrtle Point. In 1886 he disposed of his stock and became interested with Messrs. Burk & Rohm, under the firm name of Edwards, Burk & Co. In 1888 he sold his interest in this establishment, and, in connection with H. D. Dalmas, built the first sawmill at Myrtle Point. Disposing of his interests in 1891, he accepted a position in the saw mill at Parkersburg, and later at Prosper, where he remained until 1893, when he became engineer on the steam tug Katie Cook, at Rogue River, where he took a contract to move Gold Beach to Wedderburn. In December, 1895, Capt. Edwards took a long lease of the steamer Alert, which makes a daily round trip between Alleghany, at the head of navigation on the Coos river, and Marshfield. In 1884 he was elected county commissioner, and re-elected in 1886. Capt. Edwards has always been an advocate of good roadways and it was mostly due to his efforts that the wagon road
between Alleghany, Coos county, and Elkton, in Douglas county, was surveyed. This road means a great deal to Marshfield and the upper Coos river, as it gives a much shorter and easier route to and from the country. Capt. Edwards was married in March, 1880, to Miss Mary C. Roberts, of Myrtle Point, and has an interesting family of three girls and one boy. Capt. Edwards affiliates with the Masonic order.
J. M. UPTON [subhead; bold]
Is one of the most able lawyers of Coos county, and has attained his present position of prominence by virtue of application to study and ambition to win. He was born in Shasta county, California, January 27, 1863. After graduating from the Salinas City High School in 1875, he entered the newspaper field, and at one time was employed on the old evening [sic] Examiner at San Francisco, and later on the Portland News, and in 1884 was connected with the East
Oregonian of Pendleton. Mr. Upton began the study of law at Portland under Governor Gibbs in 1883, was admitted to the bar in 1893, and at once removed to Bandon, Coos county, Oregon, and began the practice of law.
When Bandon was organized in 1891, Mr. Upton was elected its first recorder. In 1896 he received the nomination on the Democratic ticket for district attorney for this district. Mr. Upton is a firm believer in the future growth and prosperity of Bandon and was one of the organizers and builders of the town, and is among those who are always willing to do all in their power to advance the interests, not only of Bandon, but of the entire county.
Mr. Upton was married in September, 1897, to Miss E. A. Reed, of Bandon. They have one child, a boy, two years old. Mr. Upton affiliates with the K. of P.
A MATCH FACTORY. [subhead; bold]
This county while gifted by nature with agricultural and mineral wealth offers extraordinary inducement for the manufacture of various articles. In the past three months E. G. Flanagan and C. F. McCollum, local capitalists, have established a well equipped match factory in Marshfield. They have all the latest improved machinery and the plant has a capacity of 250 cases per day. This institution affords employment for twenty people, thereby adding its mite to the betterment of affairs and the general prosperity of the county.
[ 3 photos, spread vertically, take up left 2 columns] [pg. 11]
Logging train On Coos Bay Railroad
Beaver Hill Coal Washer and Bunkers.
Shipping scene at Railroad Bunkers
THE C. B. R. & E. R. R. & N. CO. [subhead; bold]
Traverses a Country Rich in Mineral and
Natural Wealth - Early Exten-
sion to Roseburg. [this is all sub-sub headline; bold]
The C. B. R. & E. R. R. & N. Co. road has been completed and is operated from its western terminus at Marshfield, on Coos Bay. The road runs in a southerly direction following the west shore of Isthmus Slough and skirting the eastern slope of a series of hills, underlaid with veins of lignite coal, for a distance of eight miles; at this point the ascent of the watershed dividing the Coquille and Coos bay basins begins and is continued by an easy grade for a distance of two
miles, where the summit of the divide is reached and the descent to the Coquille Valley commences. This fertile section of Coos county is then traversed for a distance of 18 miles, passing through the city of Coquille and an extensive range of grazing country that is fast becoming the most prominent in the state in the line of dairy products, to Myrtle Point, a thriving little city at the head of navigation on the Coquille river, and which is the present terminus of the road. From
Myrtle Point eastward no work has been performed, other than preliminary surveys up the Middle and North Fork of the Coquille river and over the Coast range of mountains through the Camas and Looking Glass valleys to the city of Roseburg, 64 miles distant from Marshfield.
The country east of Myrtle Point is broken and mountainous, though in great part well adapted for sheep and cattle raising, large bodies of timber are also to be found in different localities, and occasional fields of lignite coal.
The principle commodities exported over the road are coal, lumber, ship knees, ship spars, live stock, wool, potatoes, apples, and dairy products.
The equipment of the road consists of two locomotives, one passenger coach, one caboose, and 62 freight and logging cars. The terminal facilities at Marshfield, consisting of large coal bunkers, extensive wharves and warehouses, which are well adapted for the handling of large quantities of coal, lumber, and miscellaneous freight directly from the cars to ocean vessels. Here, also, are located the company's machine shop, round house and car shops for the building
and repair of railroad equipment. In the car shops is found the latest improved wood-working machinery especially adapted for railroad work, which enables the company to do all of their own construction of coaches, box, flat, coal, and logging cars in a manner equal to those of trans-continental lines.
The machine shop has all the appurtenances necessary for the repairing of locomotives and mining machinery, and a large blacksmith shop in connection, supplied with a powerful steam hammer, a blower and aside from the forges and furnaces, all of which enables them to do heavy work.
The Management. [sub-sub head; bold]
This road has been operated since December 18, 1899, by W.S. Chandler as receiver for the U.S. Court pending a foreclosure suit of the Farmer's Loan & Trust Company, of New York, in the interest of the bondholders, the J. D. Spreckels and
[full page of photos] [pg. 12]
Bandon Woolen Mills T. A. North's Creamery, Riverton
Dispatch leaving Bandon Johnson's Saw Mill.
Steamer Alert. Capt. Edwards Holland Bros' boat shop
[photo, 2 col.] [pg. 13]
Tupper House, Bandon, Or. R. E. L. Bedillion, Prop.
Brothers Company of San Francisco. This latter company's interests in Coos County amount to over a million dollars and as they are everywhere known for their progressive business spirit, it is safe to say that when the present litigation is wound up that they will reorganize, and there will be fair prospects for the early extension of the road to connect with the Southern Pacific at Roseburg.
Improvements. [sub-sub head; bold]
On assuming charge of the road, Manager Chandler found things in a very dilapidated condition, but he has given his time and attention to the straightening out and systematizing of affairs. Bridges have been rebuilt, new ties installed where necessary, and thousands of tons of ballast [illegible; = placed?] on the road, which now makes the roadbed in perfect condition. Besides giving his attention to general repair work wherever needed, Manager Chandler has put in
several new and important switches along the line which has greatly facilitated the handling of trains; a new and modern freight and passenger depot has also been constructed at Coquille City, the county seat of Coos county and situated along the line of the road. Freight and passenger traffic over the road has been an item of interest to Mr. Chandler, who has by his courteous ways and reasonable dealings increased the traffic of the road to a height never dreamed of by the
former operators, and placed the property on a paying basis - all of the rolling stock being necessarily in use to handle the business.
Car Building. [sub-subhead; bold]
In order to meet demands of the increasing business of the road another passenger coach is to be added to the list of rolling stock in the near future, the fittings for same having already been ordered from the East and the car will be built in the company shops in Marshfield.
Spur Lines. [sub-subhead; bold]
Connecting with the main line of the railroad are two spur lines of a combined length of five miles and running to the Klondike and Beaver Hill coal mines. Along these lines, as on the main road, are situated numerous logging camps that find rail transportation to the sawmill.
Beaver Hill mines. [sub-subhead; bold]
At Beaver Hill is [sic] located the coal mines of the same name, which are being developed on the "shute [sic] and pillar" system, which is the only practicable method of mining and extracting this coal, owing to the soft and friable nature of the over and under lying strata. Equipment in the way of mining machinery can be found here equal to any mining camp on the coast. There is also a coal washer of modern pattern, a cut of which appears elsewhere in this issue.
We have fruit, salmon, and various other canneries, but the latest innovation is a clam cannery that is in the process of construction at Marshfield, Oregon, by Frank Fly and James Rolandson. They are going into the business on a small scale or in other words will feel their way as they go, and if things justify they can easily increase the capacity of their plant. There are six different varieties of clams on Coos bay and the supply is considered inexhaustible.
[photo, 2 col. pg. 13]
Blanco Hotel, Marshfield, Oregon. James L. Ferrey, Prop.
[photo, 1 col. Pg. 13]
Miss Hattie Ferrey, of Marshfield
[full page of photos] [pg. 13]
E. H. Dyer's Mill. Bandon, Oregon.
Residence of Judge L. Harlocker, Coquille City, Oregon Colonel R. H. Rosa's Saw Mill. Bandon, Oregon.
Hotel Coquille, Coquille City, Oregon. John Curren, Prop.
JUDGE L. HARLOCKER [subhead; bold]
But few, if any, stand higher socially or morally in the estimation of his friend [sic] and neighbors in the commonwealth than the subject of this sketch. His name is a synonym for all that is true and honorable in a man, fellow citizen and officer.
L. Harlocker was born July 6, 1848, in Franklin county, Ohio. When but two years old his father died and his mother removed to Grant county, Wisconsin. Here the subject of this sketch remained until 1865, when he enlisted in the Forty-seventh Infantry of Wisconsin. Was mustered out in the latter part of August in the same year. He then joined his mother, who had removed to Charles City, Iowa, and again took up his studies, entering the public schools of Charles City, where he remained until 1869, at which time he went to California and accepted a position on a stock ranch in Sonoma county, remaining there until 1871, when he removed to Oregon, locating in Coos county where he bought a farm and one year later took up a homestead. Mr. Harlocker then followed farming and logging for the next ten years.
In 1882 he was elected county assessor of Coos county on the Republican ticket and re-elected in 1884. In 1886 he was elected sheriff. In 1890 Mr. Harlocker removed to Coquille City and opened a real estate office. In October he became deputy post master of Coquille, and on the resignation of Postmaster J. H. Nosler, was appointed postmaster, which position he held for four years. In 1896 he accepted the position of depot agent. In 1898 Mr. Harlocker again received the apointment of post master at Coquille, which position he held until June, 1900, when he was elected county judge. Mr. Harlocker was married August, 1889, to Miss Fannie I. Coke, of Coos county, and has an interesting family of five children, three boys and two girls. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
Judge Harlocker is a firm believer in Coos county and especially of Coquille City, and shows his belief in the future greatness of that city by erecting the finest home in the county, an engraving of which appears in this issue.
[2 photos, nearly span the 3 columns] [pg. 15]
Judge L. Harlocker, of Coos County. Assessor J. S. Lawrence.
J. S. LAWRENCE [subhead; bold]
Few persons occupy a higher position in the [illegible; = estimation of the people of Coos county?] than does J. S. Lawrence. His reputation for integrity, and all other commendable qualities of heart and mind, constitute established credentials of which any one may well feel proud. As a public officer Mr. Lawrence is not only courteous and affable, but is always willing to lend a helping hand to any deserving enterprise, and has always taken a great interest in the
welfare of Coos county. Mr. Lawrence was born on a farm in St. Francis county, Mo., in 1852. He received his education by attending the Libertyville public schools during the months of winter. In summer he was busy assisting his father on the farm. In 1877 Mr. Lawrence removed to Northwest Texas and became engaged in the farming and lumber business, which he followed until 1885, at which time he concluded to remove to the far West, and in the fall of 1885 he
located in Coquille, Coos county, Oregon. Mr. Lawrence had been in Coquille but a short time before he accepted a position at the Lyons' mill at trimming and tallying, which position he held for twelve years. In 1898 Mr. Lawrence was elected assessor on the Democratic ticked by 328 majority. Mr. Lawrence has filled the position not only with credit to himself, but also with entire satisfaction to his constituents, which fact is proven by the phenomenal plurality (515) he
received at his re-election in 1900 over his Republican opponent. Mr. Lawrence was married April, 1876, to Miss Anna McClintock, of St. Francis county, Mo., and has an interesting family of four children, the eldest being B. F. Lawrence, who is at present engaged in the newspaper field at Portland, Oregon.
TUPPER HOUSE. [subhead; bold]
This long-established and well-known public house, situated on the main street of Bandon, has always been ranked among the first-class hotels in the interior of the county, but never since it was first opened has it enjoyed a better reputation in all respects than at the present time. This fact speaks volumes for the superior management of the genial and obliging landlord, Robt. E. Lee Bedillion, who is ever attentive to his guests and who leaves nothing undone that would add to their comfort and pleasure. The Tupper House is a large, two-story structure, containing upwards of 40 rooms, and is complete in all departments. An excellent table is set, all cooking and other preparation of food being done by white labor. No Chinese are employed in any capacity, which very commendable feature is duly appreciated by those who stop at the house or occasionally take their meals there. The dining room is large, light and well ventilated, the office is roomy and well arranged, having all the customary conveniences, while the barroom and billiard parlor are
equipped and furnished in a neat manner. Nicely furnished and commodious parlors are found on the second floor. The sleeping rooms are all airy and well lighted.
Mr. Bedillion took charge of the Tupper House June 26, 1900, since which time he has made many improvements, foremost of which is the table board, and refurnishing the sleeping rooms. Lately the office, dining room, bedrooms and parlor have been thoroughly overhauled, papered and painted, and everything put in excellent repair. The hotel as now furnished is one of the finest in the county, and the landlord is a generous and fair-dealing gentleman, who well deserves
the splendid patronage his house is receiving. In the Tupper House is located the long-distance telephone office, and stages for all points make calls previous to their departure.
Home to 1901 Annual part B text-only free copy to newspaper menu
back to 1901 Annual with photos Sun 1891 1892 1897 1903-4 1906